Monday, June 25, 2007

Devising Galapagos: Day 1


Today I started devising, working with the text and many ideas that surround the play. It made me realise how difficult it is to work alone, not having the dynamic of a group to work through problems with. The majority of the work I did involved the placement of sound within and around various objects to give a sense of sound admitting from them. This worked quite successfully but I feel that the strength of such placement is within the number of tape machines used, having two or three admitting a similar sound, placed around the room in different objects creates a multiple and eerie presence. I liked working with the crude technology of cassette tapes as they are surprising loud and have a disturbing inevitability as once they begin they can't be easily skipped. They are much more tactile then digital formats and will be central to how the work progresses.

Reading through a lot of the text I had written it became clear that a lot of it has become inappropriate due to the reduced time I can work with the actors. I also realised how many different voices that existed within it, some quite arrogant and unfounded. As a result I have chosen just several sections to expand upon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Alone, alone, always alone.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Indeed:

"The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone" -- Henrik Ibsen

...he said "macaroons" a lot too.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the issues. It was definitely informative.

http://tbeby.com/sore-throat/


http://tbeby.com/dark-thighs/

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home